- South Pole, NA, ATA
THIS POSITION IS LOCATED IN ANTARCTICA
Are you ready for a lifetime adventure in Antarctica? Yes, the weather conditions are harsh, you will be away from friends and family for several months, and away from luxuries you may be accustomed to. But how many people can say they have been to Antarctica?
GHG Corporation is contracted to supply IT Services for the United States Antarctic Program through the National Science Foundation.
Come bring your Systems Administrator experience to Antarctica and support American Scientists, such as biologists, geologists, oceanographers, physicists, astronomers, glaciologists, and meteorologists conduct experiments not reproducible in any other place in the world.
Location: South Pole, Antarctica
Work Status: US Citizen (as required by the United States NSF)
Deployment: October 2014 - November 2015 (possibly can be extended)
Salary: DOE, plus uplift. All expenses paid while on-ice: meals, lodging, medical, gear, travel to and from Antarctica. (*Salary may vary due to contract restraints)
- Benefits available to qualified family members.
The System Administrator position performs critical IT activities in support of the users. This position is responsible for the administration, maintenance and troubleshooting of all servers, network operating systems, backup systems and production database servers. This position ensures that all systems meet the program standards for the production environments.
PHYSICAL AND/OR OTHER SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS:
- The individual in the position must successfully complete the physical and dental examinations, and psychological examination, as required by the NSF for deploying to Antarctica. Failure to meet these requirements may result in withdrawal of employment offer or other employment action.
- Complies with applicable safety, environment, health, and waste management policies and procedures.
- Must be able to work in possibly a stressful and cold environment with 6 months of darkness and 6 months of light.
- U.S. citizenship is required.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field from an accredited university
- 2 years' experience
- Solid Windows Server and PC skills, mandatory; Linux, a plus
- Basic networking Windows and MS Office knowledge, a must
- Ability to lift 25 lbs
- Excellent English communication skills both written and verbal
- Documentation writing skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks
- Ability to work both independently with little supervision and in a team environment
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Direct role in data center operations & backup tape management.
- Supports the backup management application and Tape library
- Vendor coordination for offsite data protection
- Server asset (Physical & Virtual) management
- Backup, Restore monitoring & Trouble shooting
- Work with engineers to diagnose and repair hardware problems in lab environments
- Document and communicate status, procedures, and plans
- Performs other duties as assigned
GHG is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts!